PiYo is an eight-week long, complete at-home workout program designed by Chalene Johnson for Beachbody to totally transform your body in just 60 days without any weights, jumps, or strain on your body.
It was designed to increase flexibility and strength, accomplishing this by utilizing a unique combination of Pilates and Yoga-based moves to get you long, lean toned muscle all while keeping the pace quick enough to help you burn unwanted fat. You get the muscle-defining moves of Pilates with the flexibility of Yoga to get you the body you’ve always wanted – WITHOUT USING ANY WEIGHTS!!!
What You Get With the PiYo Workout Program
What you get with your PiYo program depends on what program you choose:
- PiYo DVD Package: This is the basic package that includes the following:
- Eight PiYo workouts on 3 DVDs
- Quick Start Guide: Discover just how PiYo will define you while getting insider tips to help you get the best results possible
- PiYo 60-Day Workout Calendar: This is one where the workouts are arranged strategically to get more difficult as your endurance progresses to get you stronger and more flexible.
- Measuring tape for tracking your weekly progress
- Get Lean Eating Plan: An easy-to-follow guide to get you eating healthy to get you the body you want.
- Buns Workout: Designed specifically to target that hard-to-define glute and hamstring areas.
- 24/7 Online Support: Something you might need when you really want to succeed.
The total cost of the PiYo DVD Package is only $59.85. Order to receive the FREE bonus workout DVD: Hardcore on the Floor.
- PiYo Strength Deluxe DVD Package: The most bang for your buck
- PiYo DVD package: everything listed above.
- Strength slides: designed to increase the intensity of your workouts.
- Two accelerated workouts using the strength slides: Full Body Blast and Strength Legs
- Monster Yoga Mat: something you will definitely need for either workout package – a $29.95 value.
You can buy any combination of the deluxe package separately, but the least expensive option is to purchase a the entire package. I did, and I am so happy. The two extra workouts really help vary the schedule and the strength slides provide a whole new level of intensity.
What is the PiYo Challenge Pack?
This is yet another option you can choose from when ordering your PiYo workout. It includes the full workout program with Shakeology meal replacement shake on Home Direct shipping. Choose from four great regular flavors: Chocolate, Strawberry, Greenberry or Vanilla or two Vegan options: Tropical Strawberry or Chocolate Vegan.
Honestly, the best results I see are from those who purchase the Challenge Packs. And, it is those who purchase it that seem to stick with it the most. The downside of the PiYo Challenge Pack is that it only includes the PiYo Base kit, if you want the PiYo Strength workouts you would have to order them separately.
Depending on what package you choose, you will follow a different workout schedule:
- Basic PiYo Schedule: Follow this if you purchase the PiYo DVD Package
- PiYo Strength Schedule: Follow this is you purchase the PiYo Deluxe DVD Package. Basically, it utilizes the nifty strength slides to give you an incredible workout, it moves your body in ways it’s never been worked before while providing you with proper form.
There are eight workouts that come with the regular PiYo package:
- Align: The Fundamentals: Breaks down the moves in slow motion, so you can perform them in proper form during the regular workouts
- Define Upper Body: Start cutting away at your upper body, defining your arms triceps, and shoulders.
- Define Lower Body: Start sculpting sexy legs with this workout from your hamstrings to your calves.
- Sweat: A more traditional PiYo workout that utilizes flowing yoga-based positions and resistance exercises to provide an effective cardio/strength workout.
- Core: This ab-centric workout chisels away at your mid-section to get you a strong, sexy core.
- Strength Intervals: One of my favorites, this slightly shorter, fast-paced, fat-incinerating workout has you switching from strength to cardio.
- Drench: This tough endurance workout maximizes fat loss and works every muscle in your body. Prepare to get drenched for real 🙂
- Sculpt: Various tempos keeps your muscle under tension for various periods of time to provide you with a muscle-defining workout that totally transforms your body.
This is one of the most frequently asked questions I receive. The truth is the PiYo diet plan is one of the best out there. I feel like it rivals the 21 Day Fix’s easy-to-follow diet plan, although you do have weigh some things. It allows you certain amounts of each food group depending on your calorie needs and is whole foods-based, getting you to appreciate the taste of real food over sugary or processed versions.
Meet Chalene Johnson: PiYo Trainer Extraordinaire
Chalene Johnson is a best-selling author, health and fitness expert, athletic clothing designer, and oh, did I mention she is also the mother of two?! She is a high-energy personality who turned her love of health and fitness into a career. She’s upbeat without being overly bubbly and very animated – something I happen to like when I’m grunting through a workout. She is also tough, pushing you to your limits throughout.
It’s important to just listen to her and trust because pushing yourself each and every time is the only path to success. She created PiYo to offer a workout that gave you hardcore results without the strain of some other at-home workout programs, which it does.
Who the PiYo Workout is For
The PiYo program is a complete program from diet to exercise great for people of all ages and exercise levels. And when I say all ages, I mean all ages – we’re talking anyone from age 18 to their golden years will benefit from this program as long as you’re healthy enough for physical activity. And what’s best is you don’t need to be in shape to use this program. I wasn’t.
Whether you’re a veteran athlete or a couch potato, you will be able to do this program. There’s always a modifier who is showing you the easier, low-impact version of every exercise, as well as someone showing you the more challenging, higher intensity versions, which is great if you’re already in good shape. And if you have any aches and pains, including back problems like me, you may even be able to do this program. However, you will want to check with your doctor first.