The AudioStrider 990 PRO is part of NordicTrack’s Power Ramp series. While this brand normally offers good value, the AudioStrider is only a good deal when it’s on sale. Some attractive features of this machine include an iPod dock, an adjustable stride, a heavy flywheel, and iFit Interactive. Points are lost for the combination of a higher price and noisy operation. The NordicTrack PathFinder, which is very similar, is a quieter machine and a better buy.
Elliptical Hits of the NordicTrack AudioStrider 990 PRO Elliptical
- Audio system – An iPod-compatible dock and speaker system let users enjoy high fidelity sound while working out.
- Adjustable stride – The AudioStrider 990 PRO has an 18”-20” adjustable stride, so it provides a healthy range of motion for most adults. The longer strides become available as the machine inclines.
- Incline training – This machine’s “Power Intensity Ramp” inclines up to 30 degrees.
- Programs – These cross trainers offer excellent programming. Users can choose from 16 built-in programs, plus they can download programs through iFit. iFit also lets people use the internet to virtually race against Facebook friends and simulate running anywhere in the world with Google Maps. The machine automatically chooses between 16 resistance levels to mimic natural terrain.
- Heart rate monitor – Grip heart rate monitors are built into the handlebars.
- Upper body workout – These machines have movable arm bars to provide upper-body exercise.
Elliptical Misses: Where NordicTrack Went Wrong
- Difficult assembly – A somewhat common complaint is that machine parts don’t line up correctly during home assembly.
- Noisy – This elliptical has been criticized as a squeaker and a clanker.
- Instability – This machine is labeled with a user capacity of 350 pounds, but users report that it wobbles for those who weigh 240 and up.
- Warranty – Customers get just a one-year warranty on parts and labor. There’s a lifetime warranty on the frame.
Overall Rating for the NordicTrack AudioStrider 990 PRO Elliptical
The AudioStrider 990 PRO is sold for its extras – the iPod dock, iFit compatibility, and incline. Unfortunately, it seems that these bells and whistles are adorning a lower quality machine. The warranty is too short, and there’s no need to buy a noisy machine when these features are also offered on quieter ellipticals. If you want to stay in this brand, the NordicTrack A.C.T. Pro is a better option. If not, at this price point, the Smooth ellipticals have been getting our top ratings.